I’ve never
been what modern society deems as normal—not now, not then, not ever. For as
long as I can remember I have preferred heels to sneakers, mini dresses to
suits and makeup to the “normal” makeup-up-free face of a man. Growing up in a small town filled with
small-minded people caused for a somewhat hard childhood. I was never allowed
to forget that I looked and acted different from everyone else, be it from
violent threats or having to sue my high school to be allowed into my senior
prom wearing a pair of pumps.
After four years of taking
psychology from a truly inspirational teacher I decided I wanted to dig deeper
into people’s minds because I hoped that one day I would understand why few
people had the ability to look past gender and accept and love me as a human
being. As a first year at UCF, majoring in psychology and minoring in women’s
studies I hope to achieve an understanding of the way people think and why
gender roles are such an important part of our culture.
To associate myself with a specific
gender would be assigning a label to my body. I’ve never understood labels—I
think they are pointless. For as long as I can remember I have been blind to
the differences between genders. When looking at any individual I see a person,
not their gender. Because of this, I see it unfit that women make on average 70
cents to the dollar, I don’t understand why a man can’t wear a dress and walk
down the street without getting looks of utter disappointment from his fellow
citizens and I hope that one day others will be blind to gender.
My daily life is constant struggle
of trying to answer questions about my gender and my body because I have no
answers. Part of me wishes that when I stood there looking at my reflection in
the mirror, I would be content with the female staring back. But for some
reason of which I can’t seem to comprehend, I stare at my reflection knowing
that I would never be content with what that small part of me so desperately
hopes for. I can’t explain it. I have no words, just thoughts—thoughts that I
can’t seem to comprehend. I search constantly for those syllables that will one
day allow me to explain the way I feel. I’m hopeful. I’m confused. I lack the
proper words.
I feel like
I’m a relatively brave person. Bravery can’t be measured but it can be proven.
We all have it, some more than others, but either way it is something that we
all possess. I wasn’t brave before, but I’m brave now. I dare to dream of a
time where I don’t have to worry about my safety for the way I look, and I hope
for an accepting future. This is who I am. Hello, it's nice to meet you!
Nick,
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to meet you as well. I can't say that I understand what you have shared, as I benefit from cisgendered privilege, but I can say that I empathize. I can also say that I too believe you are brave.
While I do understand your desire to be gender blind I equate this with the similar idea of being color blind. This line of thinking is problematic for me in an unequal world because it tends to silence the history of struggle and mask inequality. I guess I would say that I am not so sure I want to erase difference but that I don't want difference to be cause for oppression. I think we will have to keep talking about this...
I am so happy you are here with us this semester.
MLT